, Spain
GAUCÍN: Balcony of the Ronda Mountains where the Holy Child appeared to St. John of God.
The illustrious, always noble, very hospitable village of Gaucín.
The Church of San Sebastian
Built after the reconquest (1487) on the site of the mosque which was built on the site of the earlier visigoth church. The interior has vestiges of Mudéjar influence in its use of wood.

During the Civil War the church was sacked and the organ thrown into the street and destroyed.

The bell tower still dominates the town skyline, though the law allowing the construction of third stories on top of old houses may soon change that.

Currently the church is famous for its angelic priest and its enthusiastic choir.

Castillo del Alguila
The castle offers a 360 degree view of the area, with a splendid vista of Serranía de Ronda and the Campo de Gibraltar.

Ancient Iberian ceramics have been found in the castle's water deposit. Though the Romans were the first to put a castle on the strong rock of Gaucín and Visigoths occupied it, Arabs built the remnants seen today. French invaders and Carlist rebels also occupied the castle. It has been used as a refuge for threatened populations and animals, and as a hospital. The church owns the castle, and the chapel within the castle precincts is used for devotions to the Santo Niño.

The castle is open from 10.30 - 13.30 and from 18.00 - 20.00. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.

The Convent
The town hall owns the convent, currently used for municipal functions, such as flamenco concerts, school concerts and local fiestas.

Built in the early 1700s, by the end of the century the convent had 19 resident monks. In 1835 with the dissolution of the monasteries it was abandoned. Monumental in form, some years ago it was renovated in a rather insensitive, and unpopular, modern style. Work to improve the interior is ongoing and it is hoped that a government grant can be obtained to restore some of the original architecture and convert the building to a cultural centre.

The Fountain of the six spouts
This baroque sandstone fountain, c. 1628, located in the main square, has six classical faces, now largely eroded.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site